The sun moves into Sagittarius today, although in some years that happens on November 23rd. It heralds the beginning of the holiday season in the US, as people get ready to celebrate Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, and Christmas.
Those born today include:
- Billie Jean King, tennis pro
- George Eliot, novelist
- Jesse Colin Young, musician
- Benjamin Britten, composer
- Dora Marr, artist and Picasso lover
- Mariel Hemingway, actress
- Heber J. Grant, 7th president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Charles de Gaulle, French politician
- Hoagy Carmichael, musician
- Rodney Dangerfield, legendary comedian
- Emanuel Feuermann, cellist with the Chicago Symphony
- Terry Gilliam, member of the Firesign Theatre
- Kent Nagano, conductor
- Scarlett Johansson, actress
- Jamie Lee Curtis, actress
- Boris Becker, tennis pro
- Gunther Schuller, composer
- Andre Gide, writer.
Here is a group of people who did not back down from controversy. Billie Jean King won the tennis match dubbed “Battle of the Sexes” against Bobby Riggs. George Eliot was the pen name used by Mary Ann Evans, a woman whose works — especially Middlemarch — have been called some of the best writing in the English language, but who openly lived with a married man at a time when such arrangements did not allow them into polite society. In Woody Allen’s film Manhattan, Mariel Hemingway plays a very young lady who has an affair with a much older man and doesn’t see why that should be a problem for anyone. Heber J. Grant was considered too physically awkward to join the baseball team, so he practiced pitching until he was so good he helped his team win the championship. Scarlett Johansson has taken on many types of film roles so that her performance capabilities are not limited in the eyes of casting agents or her many fans.
How can the strength of the people born today help you firm up your resolve in achieving your goals?